Hectic Schedule? How to Maintain Your Cool When Dealing With Chaos
Do your days seem to devolve into chaos more often than not lately?
For example, you set a plan to accomplish a specific task and feel like the project is well underway when something unexpected happens to disturb the flow — and suddenly, your day goes from peaceful and manageable to hectic or chaotic.
It’s easy to lose your cool in a scenario like this, especially if you have momentum and are on your way to completing the task.
Although you can’t control the unexpected, the following four approaches will help you develop skills to get through chaotic days.
1. Remember you have the skills and experience to conquer challenges. Think back to every difficult situation you have experienced and realize how many times you have persevered.
- Remind yourself that you can handle unexpected situations.
- Reflect on what you’ve achieved and the obstacles you overcame to get what you wanted or where you wanted to be.
- Think about how much stronger you’ll be when you get through this challenge.
- Take things slowly until things settle down.
2. Remember, it’s probably not as bad as it seems. If you take a moment to assess the situation for what it truly is, you’ll realize that things probably aren’t as bad as they seem. Recognize that whatever is happening isn’t the worst thing you could be dealing with. The minute you recognize that, your coping mechanisms begin to kick in, and you will be able to find solutions.
- Keep a smile on your face, even during the turmoil. It’s a proven coping technique.
- Be your own hero. Cheer yourself on, give yourself pep talks — whatever you need to get you through the current chaos.
3. Take five. When things get a little tricky to deal with, there’s no harm in taking a time out. Allowing yourself a break from the chaos and breathing is a great way to maintain your calm.
- Taking a break from the insanity helps to put things back into perspective so you can renew your focus on your current goals or projects.